After two successful Stars of Tomorrow outings in recent weeks, Ultimate Motorsports’ Matthew Parry endured an altogether more trying Super 1 Series outing at Buckmore Park, but still emerged with a top ten finish in the hotly-contested Minimax class.

Having only seen Buckmore Park once previously, at a club meeting squeezed between his national commitments, Parry initially struggled to find his usual front-running form on the technical Kent circuit and, despite improving, still found that the timesheets in practice were headed by the same names, with the same gaps between them.

Seventh-fastest time in Saturday evening’s qualifying equated to a pair of fifth-place starts for his two heats, and the 14-year old Bury St Edmunds youngster typically set about improving his lot by claiming a third on each outing, giving him the outside of row two for the first of the weekend’s finals.

In a class where the fastest runners are divided by mere hundredths of a second, and at a venue where the slightest mistake can often be punished by the loss of several places, it was no surprise to see the race order change throughout the 18 laps. When the chequered flag fell, Parry was back in third spot, just over a second shy of the winner, but what happened after the flag fell, however, potentially affected the teenager’s chances of improving in the second final.

Having crossed the line, Parry was hit hard from behind by a reckless rival, the force of the impact sufficient to remove his radiator, bend both the axle and steering column and damage a tyre. With only half an hour between races, and with many repairs to be made, it was impossible to check for further, initially unseen, damage, leaving Parry to contest the final on a potentially twisted chassis.

Ironically, just as his assailant was let off with just a verbal warning, the Ultimate driver was called back to the Clerk of the Course and handed a two-second penalty for a second incident in which he had spun another driver during the race. That punishment was enough to drop him a further four positions down the order, resulting in a seventh-place start for the final race.

Buoyed by taking fastest lap in the earlier final, and undaunted by the damage to his kart, Parry wasted little time in vaulting from seventh to first, but was still unable to find his usual form, allowing his rivals to remain in touch. Once again, there was contact that affected his progress and, as his performance suffered, he slipped back down the order, finally coming to rest in ninth spot. Parry now lies eleventh overall in the championship, with three rounds to run.

“It wasn’t my best weekend, but I think we should still have had a shot at winning,” Parry insisted, “I was getting stronger and stronger all meeting, but didn’t drive as well as I know I can in the final, when it mattered most. I was leading, but I started to get a bit ragged and that allowed the others through.

“What happened at the end of the first final obviously didn’t help, but I don’t want to use that as an excuse. The Ultimate Motorsports team did a great job to repair what they could before the second final, and I wish I could have rewarded them with a better result. I could have been fourth or fifth instead of ninth….”

Parry returns to Stars of Tomorrow action at Llandow in South Wales this weekend (28-29 June), and will be looking to shrug off his Buckmore misfortune and take the right results to keep him at the head of that particular championship.


Article created by Craig Llewellyn.